March 16, 2012 at 11:17 am by Franklin Rabon under Atlanta Braves
First, two from late last night that you may have missed:
* Grantland gives us their Braves season preview by Jonah Keri. It’s a solid take on the strengths and weaknesses the Braves are facing, as well as spotlighting the importance of Jason Heyward’s comeback (h/t commenter Andres).
* The Braves were 14th in international spending last year, according to Baseball America, at $2.49 million.
* Heyward is working hard and being patient with his ‘comeback’: Braves.com story
* from Bowman and O’Brien on the story that broke yesterday about Vizcaino visiting Dr. James Andrews. At this point I wouldn’t draw any conclusions one way or another. It’s certainly not good, but it could be any number of things. I will say that day by day I become more and more disenchanted with the Braves medical staff.
* DOB’s notes from yesterday afternoon regarding Diaz and Uggla
* Jim Bowden picks the Braves to finish 4th in the NL East and is seriously worried about the Braves’ pitching. (ESPN Insider subscription required)
* Kevin Goldstein has a brief blurb on Andrelton Simmons, amongst many other prospects (ESPN Insider sub req’d)
* Eno Sarris says that while the Braves do have injury concerns in their rotation, their tremendous pitching depth more than balances these concerns. (ESPN Insider sub req’d)
* AP recap of yesterdays loss to the Phillies (via ESPN)
* UPDATE 12:45 PM * In DOB’s latest blog, he examines the Braves thus far dismal record in spring training. He claims that based on his anecdotal experience with the Marlins that extremely good and extremely bad spring training records can be telling. He contradicts himself at the end of the piece by citing examples that completely refute that, but you know, why let facts get in the way of a good narrative? However, he does give some good info on Cory Gearrin taking a little off his sinker to get more movement, at the suggestion of Roger McDowell.
* UPDATE 2:15 PM * Bowman has the lineup: Bourn DH Prado 7 Chipper 5 McCann 2 Freeman 3 Parraz 8 Heyward 9 Sutton 4 Simmons 6… Hanson will start tonight’s game. The game will be televised on Fox Sports South and MLB.TV at 6PM.
*UPDATE 3:35 PM* Chipper Jones commented on Bryce Harper, and what it’s like to be a phenom in the Washington Post
*Update 5:26 PM* Jim Bowden says that he’s heard two rival GMs say that they beieve Teheran needs to go back to AAA to figure out how to pitch without his best stuff and get a better ‘feel’ for pitching. (ESPN Insider sub req’d)
*Update 10:30 PM* Camden Depot examines FIP by ‘rotation slot’ from last year in the NL East. To no great shock, the Phillies lapped the field, while the Braves were 2nd.
*Update 10:30* Game recaps of the Braves WIN over the Astros from the AP, AJC/DOB and Bowman. My analysis: I think Heyward’s swing might just be okay. Tommy Hanson looked good, not great, his new delivery isn’t a major difference at all.