April 9, 2012 at 11:17 am by David Lee under Atlanta Braves
Braves Seek First Win at Minute Maid
* Coming off the losing end of a three-game sweep to open the season against the Mets, the Braves travel to Houston for three against the Astros. First pitch on Monday is 8:05 p.m. on Fox Sports South. Brandon Beachy and J.A. Happ will be making their season debuts.
Braves lineup: Michael Bourn (CF), Martin Prado (LF), Brian McCann (C), Dan Uggla (2B), Freddie Freeman (1B), Matt Diaz (RF), Juan Francisco (3B), Tyler Pastornicky (SS), Brandon Beachy (P).
Astros lineup: Jordan Schafer (CF), Jose Altuve (2B), Travis Buck (LF), Carlos Lee (1B), Brian Bogusevic (RF), Chris Johnson (3B), Jason Castro (C), Marwin Gonzalez (SS), J.A. Happ (P).
It’s assumed Jason Heyward is simply getting the day off because of a left-hander on the mound for Houston, although he played against two of them in New York and didn’t look bad.
New (5:30p): * Per DOB, Fredi Gonzalez just wanted to see how Francisco would fare against a left-hander before Chipper Jones returned, and that’s the reason for Heyward being out. Francisco has five singles in 27 plate appearances against left-handers.
Hudson On Track
* In Mark Bowman’s notes, he reports Tim Hudson threw three pain-free innings for Class-A Rome on Saturday. He pitches again Thursday, the target being four innings, which will be supervised by both Fredi Gonzalez and Roger McDowell in Rome. Hudson’s target date remains the end of the month.
* In Bowman’s same notes, Chipper Jones will be pushed during a workout today in Houston. If all goes well and continues to, he could still be activated by Friday’s home opener, although the Braves may want him to get some swings at Rome first.
Update (5:30p): DOB reports Chipper’s workout went well, and O’Brien thinks he will be activated Tuesday, although it hasn’t been announced yet.
* In Bowman’s previous notes, he reports Tommy Hanson will start on normal rest Tuesday and Randall Delgado will go on Wednesday.
New (4:45p): * David O’Brien’s latest blog post on getting swept in the opening series by the Mets.
New (7:00p): * Paul Swydan of FanGraphs finds positives for all five winless teams. For the Braves? Jason Heyward, who sits tonight.
New (8:00p): * Kevin received video of the horrible collision between Mycal Jones and Keenan Wiley in a Double-A Mississippi game on Sunday. Talking Chop reports Wiley was placed on the disabled list with a concussion, while Jones tweeted he was feeling OK.
* Sean Gilmartin had a great Double-A debut.
* Jose Constanza did this.