April 11, 2012 at 10:26 am by David Lee under Atlanta Braves
Seeking a Series Win
* The Braves picked up their first win of the season on Tuesday, a 6-4 victory behind a home run by Chipper Jones in his season debut. The Braves and Astros face off in the rubber game tonight at 8:05 on Fox Sports South. Randall Delgado faces Wandy Rodriguez.
Braves lineup: Michael Bourn (CF), Martin Prado (LF), Freddie Freeman (1B), Chipper Jones (3B), Dan Uggla (2B), Jason Heyward (RF), David Ross (C), Jack Wilson (SS), Randall Delgado (P).
Astros lineup: Jordan Schafer (CF), Jose Altuve (2B), J.D. Martinez (LF), Carlos Lee (1B), Travis Buck (RF), Chris Johnson (3B), Jason Castro (C), Marwin Gonzalez (SS), Wandy Rodriguez (P).
It’s back to the drawing board for the Braves in regards to offense, as they face another left-hander in Rodriguez. The Braves have a .201 wOBA against lefties so far this season, and rank 26th in ground ball percentage vs. southpaws at 58%.
Rodriguez has a career 3.43 xFIP against left-handed batters and 4.07 against righties. His K% vs. lefties is 22.1% compared to 19.3% vs. righties.
* Jason Wojciechowski of Baseball Prospectus takes a look at the value of converting starters to relievers.
* Baseball Prospectus’ Collateral Damage, a daily list of injury updates that is very valuable to keep track of, has this note on Chipper: “Chipper was activated from the disabled list, but we’re sure he will end up on the list again.” Aw, man.
Around the NL East
* David Wright has a small fracture in his right pinkie and his return is unknown. A stint on the disabled list is possible, but they will know more today when he is re-evaluated.
* Mike Morse suffered a setback during a rehab game on Tuesday, causing him to leave the game early and giving the Nationals further worries about what exactly is wrong with his right lat muscle. A day-to-day thing during spring training has turned into the complete unknown as to when he might return.